THE KINGDOM'S INVITE REACHES OUT TO ME

The prophet Isaiah reminds us how powerful our God is—and how easily we human beings forget it. Even ruthless nations will fear Him, Isaiah tells us. Those words speak deeply to me, because I know what it means to live in fear of ruthless authorities. I lost my home and everything that reminded me of my childhood. For ten years, I wandered through neighboring countries. I know what it feels like to live under authorities whose actions show no regard for God or for human dignity. For the longest time, we lived in survival mode, holding on to the hope that someday we would be rescued. Countless times, my mind went to the worst-case scenario. Yet somewhere deep within me, I believed that God remained in charge—even if I did not survive. But I did survive. As I look back, I find myself returning to what I had heard in the Gospel about salvation. There had been so many invitations to hear God’s voice throughout my life. But I was busy. I heard the words without truly listening. I attended Roman Catholic Mass every Sunday, yet even there, I could be present in body and absent in heart. That is a difficult thing to admit. But perhaps some of us recognize it in ourselves. We can attend worship, hear Scripture, say our prayers, and still resist what God is asking of us. We see that resistance among the religious leaders Jesus confronted. They were caught up in their rules, their positions, and the politics of their day. Jesus kept offering them parables—stories with a sharp edge, meant to awaken them, help them listen, and invite them to change. Yet they continued to resist His invitation. And before we judge them too quickly, we need to ask: How often do we do the same? Paul’s words to the Philippians help redirect our attention toward what is true, honorable, just, pure, pleasing, and commendable. When we make room for these things, we begin to turn away from the noise of our own desires and become more attentive to God. Perhaps one reason we struggle to hear His voice is that we are so busy leading ourselves. We decide what is right in our own eyes. We make our plans, defend our choices, and then ask God to approve the direction we have already chosen. It is an old temptation. We see it in Adam and Eve, and we see it in ourselves: the desire to take control rather than trust the One who gives us life. For the religious leaders Jesus challenged, this resistance often hid behind an appearance of devotion. They wanted to be seen as faithful to God’s laws, but Jesus exposed the distance between their outward appearance and their inward disposition. Religious respectability had become a covering for hearts that resisted God. That is deception—and it is a danger for us, too. In the parable of the wedding feast, those who were invited treated the king’s invitation as unimportant. Some went back to their own business. Others mistreated and killed his messengers. What should have been received as an honor was met with indifference and hostility. The question is not only what they did. The question is what we do with God’s invitation today. Do we make room for Him, or do we return to our own business? Do we listen when His word challenges us, or do we dismiss the message because it interrupts our plans? When we ignore God’s voice, we can lose sight of His power and His care. We become absorbed in the situations before us. Fear takes over. Worry narrows our vision. We make decisions simply to protect ourselves, and those decisions can carry us farther from the God we need. I know how real that fear can be. I know that trusting God does not mean pretending danger is harmless or suffering is easy. But I also know that fear must not become the voice that leads our lives. God is inviting us to something greater. Jesus describes a wedding feast—a place of welcome, abundance, and joy. When the original guests refuse to come, the invitation goes out beyond them. The servants are sent into the streets to gather everyone they can find. What a picture of God’s generosity! The invitation reaches beyond familiar boundaries. People who might never have expected a place at the table are welcomed in. The feast is ready. The invitation is open. God calls us out of isolation and into communion, out of self-reliance and into trust, out of merely surviving and into life with Him. But grace also calls for a response. The man who enters without a wedding garment reminds us that accepting the invitation is not the same as insisting that nothing in us needs to change. We cannot enter the King’s celebration and treat the King as though He has no claim on our lives. God welcomes us as we are, but His welcome calls us into a new way of living. We are not invited to take control of the Father’s house. We are invited to let the Father lead us. To use a simple image, our lives should begin to take on the flavor of His Kingdom. His mercy should shape how we treat others. His truth should shape our words. His generosity should shape our choices. His love should begin to change what we desire. My prayer is that we would grow into the mind of Christ: gentle toward others, attentive to what is true and honorable, committed to what is just and pure, and grateful for whatever is commendable and worthy of praise. God offers forgiveness. He offers living water. He invites us into the joy of His Kingdom. So, will we keep holding tightly to our own plans, our own fears, and our need for control? Or will we listen to His voice, receive His invitation, and allow Him to lead? The feast is ready. Will we come? Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wells We Draw Water From

You Must Be Born From Above!

"Lord Jesus, Son of God, Have Mercy on Me, a Sinner!"